- Natural herbs: Using herbs as an aid to quit smoking naturally is a great alternative to other non-natural alternatives. This article discusses 4 natural herbs to help you quit smoking. Herbs like lobelia, passion flower, peppermint, and ginger root are great for relaxation, creating the same effects of nicotine, and relief from nausea.
- Healthy Diet: While a healthy well balanced diet is always recommended regardless of your goals you have made, people who are trying to quit smoking naturally will find that their diet has a huge impact on their results. From eating the right foods for your regular daily meals and snacks, to making sure to focus on the correct “booster foods” for beneficial effects directly related to quitting, to optimal fluid intake, taking care of your body from the inside out will be a huge influence on the quitting process.
- Hypnotherapy: Hypnotherapy can be used to quit smoking by training your mind to think in a different way than it naturally would during the quitting process. As this article describes it, when you mentally cut yourself off of something you want it even more than you did before you decided to cut it out. If you can change that type of thinking from the “what am I losing” mentality to a “what am I gaining” mentality it makes the process seem less negative and more possible. Hypnotherapy can help to shape those thoughts and get you on the right track to “a healthier lifestyle”.
- Acupuncture: Does acupuncture assist in the cessation of smoking? Yes!! Acupuncture works to treat the symptoms and negative side effects of quitting so that quitting becomes much easier and doable. They take each patient’s situation and personal experiences into mind and then treat what needs to be treated. Acupuncture “focuses on jitters, cravings, irritability and restlessness, as well as assists in relaxation and detoxification”. Research has shown it to be effective. So effective, in fact, that it is often a court mandated treatment for people trying to quit drugs because of its ability to treat the associated side effects.
- Reduction method: When you quit smoking there are three main methods in terms of the way you stop the nicotine intake: you stop cold turkey, you can stop using a substitute like a patch, or finally you can use the reduction method. The reduction method is a gradual learned process of kicking your smoking habit. It allows you to take steps from what you smoke to date and slowly lower the intake down over time until you no longer smoke. This is not for everyone but if you have smoked for a very long time this might be a good option for you. If you haven’t smoked for very long cold turkey is usually the best bet.
- Sweet treats: Often times when people are trying to quit smoking they find themselves having other hankerings and cravings. Carbohydrates, easily found in sugary treats, are a great way to turn the smoking cravings to a healthier habit. Just pop a couple of jelly beans or whatever your candy of choice is and it should help curb the urge. Its best to eat candy in moderation of course but if you just carry a little bag of your favorite treat with you and eat a few at a time you will find it’s a great tip.
- Exercise: Exercise can help you quit smoking in three distinct ways. It helps to reduce stress which as we all know is what triggers people to want to do those “feel good” habits like smoking. It helps with the weight gain that often comes with quitting smoking. This is great because gaining weight when making a move for a healthier lifestyle can often send conflicting messages. Finally, it helps to distract people from their cravings.
- Meditation: Mediation is a great way to take time out to gain control of your life, mainly by controlling your thoughts and feelings. In order to help people quit smoking meditation can be used to prepare yourself mentally so that your reaction the cravings and mood swings as well as your ability to handle the cravings is controlled.
- Massage Therapy: What? Massages help you quit smoking? I can’t think of any better news for someone who is thinking of kicking the habit. Massages can be useful in so many ways, but what better way to wind down at the end of the day, and help you quit smoking then a nice massage.
- Find someone to hold you accountable: Leaning on other people is always a key way to accomplish any daunting task. There are three main ways to utilize the people around you to motivate you in your goal to quit smoking. First, the buddy system is a great way for two people to quick smoking as a team. Make personal and team goals together. Set up rewards for if both of you accomplish your goals. This make sticking to your milestones more of a motivation as your actions are no longer just going to affect you, but your other team mate. Second, if the buddy system is not an option you can always just tell your goals and milestones to a trusted, straight shooter of a friend. Once you have declared what you are going to do it will be a little more difficult to go back on it. Finally, there are going to be tough days. You will need a friend who understand what you are going through to call and talk you out of any frustration or doubts you may be having along the way. Now is no time for pride. Reach out. Get results. Regardless of which form of social assistance fits you, seeking support is a very useful tool when quitting smoking.
Melani’s areas of expertise are…
I’m looking for treatments for…
Address and Phone
Natural Qi Acupuncture
80 East 11th Street #211
New York, NY 10003
Recent blog posts
- All You Need to Know About Salt: How Salt and Your Body Interact
- Benefits of Good Oral Hygiene: Why Taking Care of Your Mouth is So Important
- Benefits of Reading: 9 Great Reason to Start or Continue Reading
- Great Ideas for New Year’s Resolutions that Can Really Change Your Life- And Tips To See Them Out
- 12 Cost Effective and Energy Efficient Ways to Stay Warm this Winter
- Traditions: Fun, Helpful and Healthy Holiday Traditions for the Holiday Season
- Healthy Eating: Easy, Cheap and healthy Snack Ideas